Okay, the title is a bit of a misnomer. I am not running by any stretch of the imagination. As it has been often noted among friends and family "I don't ~do~ sports." The tildes are indicative of a signature hand wave I do that's a bit like lazy jazz fingers...
Still, I feel as though I am running in place. I am certainly keeping active (mentally, if not physically) by reading books, making lists, browsing blogs, selling extra stuff, and earmarking all the things we should buy before we move. (Priorities #1 and #2 - plastic bins for the UAB so I don't end up with busted boxes that dump my clothes all over the ground, and silica gel packets to stave off mold in my possessions while they're in the long, lonely storage period between my first pack-out and my first overseas assignment.)
I'm also viewing this as an opportunity to replace the many things we have accumulated over the years. Our square blue dishes, while lovely, are also heavy and chipping like crazy. They also don't hold up well in the microwave (and the large plates are actually too large to fully turn around on a microwave carousel. Oops!) so I have been lusting over a set of round Corelle dishes in plain white. Boring? Maybe. But also super lightweight, infinitely replaceable, and almost indestructible. Likewise, our beloved non-stick pots and pans look way worse for wear, and our knife set just isn't as awesome as it once was (and no amount of sharpening will bring it back from the brink).
I'm not trying to complain about my possessions, just trying to point out that the impending move (which could be anywhere from six days to six months in the future...) has made me rethink our material possessions, and focus on only retaining or upgrading those things that would make our life measurably better.
So what's on the chopping block? Well, most of our furniture is getting the boot. We'll be keeping our two Ikea bookshelves and desk that break down easily and are fairly light. Our couch/ottoman and bedroom set are out - these things are included in the Washington corporate housing and in most of the overseas posts. I'd rather not hang on to fairly basic Ikea pieces on the off chance that we get posted to a LQA/OHA location -- i.e. one where you find and furnish your own house rather than enjoying the comforts of Drexel Heritage furniture that populates the housing of the American Foreign Service worldwide -- or Washington, D.C. Let's face it - that could be anywhere from 2 years to 10 years in the future, and I'd rather get cash for the relatively nice things we have today and just purchase them again in the future than have to worry about them languishing in storage for a decade. Again, mold! It could happen to you!
Other things going out the door: many of our books and movies. Most everything we read or watch is digital (hello kindle and netflix! love you bunches) and the things we can't bear to part with will hang out at a parent's house until we need them in the future, or decide to gift our extensive collection of 100+ science fiction books (mostly Star Wars) to a niece or nephew.
We're keeping all our sentimental art. Here's a small sampling:
I also have a variety of postcards from Israel, an adorable handmade sign that says LOVE done by my nephew that hangs in the bedroom, a print of a New Orleans streetcar at night painting I acquired on my honeymoon, and various knicknacks that make any place we live feel more like home. I never quite feel moved in until my art is on the walls! If there's anything I'm looking forward to about the FS lifestyle, it's the chance to live anywhere, travel often, and collect unique pieces to commemorate each place.
So, getting back to running in place - I hope this gives you an idea of the many things I have been doing during my demi-employment. I also convinced the local library to buy a copy of America's Other Army by Nicholas Kralev, and I'm currently working through it. Expect a review up as soon as I finish it.
I have made a few steps forward though - I passed my phone test in Arabic that gives me a slight bump on the register. I leapfrogged five people on the list of Management FSOs-in-waiting, which has put me in striking distance of a first round offer next time a class is formed. Remember though: the register is dynamic, and there hasn't been a November A100 class held since 2011 due to concerns over funding. This means that a class could be formed for November, and I could start then, but with ongoing concerns over budgets and continuing resolutions and Congress *side eye* there are no guarantees. If no budgets materialize before the beginning of the fiscal year in October, then the next class will probably be in January, and I have a good chance of making it in to that one, provided that a new crop of Management FSOs-in-waiting don't appear above me on the register and knock me back down the list.
Still - I passed my Arabic phone test! Yay! A book I wanted from the library materialized! I finally found a copy of National Geographic's Inside the State Department documentary! My best friend was hired, meaning all my friends are gainfully employed! My nephew has an adorable Dinosaurs and Dragons party planned for Labor Day weekend, and I should be able to make it in to town!
See, life isn't so bad. At least I'm still running (metaphorically speaking).
Still, I feel as though I am running in place. I am certainly keeping active (mentally, if not physically) by reading books, making lists, browsing blogs, selling extra stuff, and earmarking all the things we should buy before we move. (Priorities #1 and #2 - plastic bins for the UAB so I don't end up with busted boxes that dump my clothes all over the ground, and silica gel packets to stave off mold in my possessions while they're in the long, lonely storage period between my first pack-out and my first overseas assignment.)
I'm also viewing this as an opportunity to replace the many things we have accumulated over the years. Our square blue dishes, while lovely, are also heavy and chipping like crazy. They also don't hold up well in the microwave (and the large plates are actually too large to fully turn around on a microwave carousel. Oops!) so I have been lusting over a set of round Corelle dishes in plain white. Boring? Maybe. But also super lightweight, infinitely replaceable, and almost indestructible. Likewise, our beloved non-stick pots and pans look way worse for wear, and our knife set just isn't as awesome as it once was (and no amount of sharpening will bring it back from the brink).
I'm not trying to complain about my possessions, just trying to point out that the impending move (which could be anywhere from six days to six months in the future...) has made me rethink our material possessions, and focus on only retaining or upgrading those things that would make our life measurably better.
So what's on the chopping block? Well, most of our furniture is getting the boot. We'll be keeping our two Ikea bookshelves and desk that break down easily and are fairly light. Our couch/ottoman and bedroom set are out - these things are included in the Washington corporate housing and in most of the overseas posts. I'd rather not hang on to fairly basic Ikea pieces on the off chance that we get posted to a LQA/OHA location -- i.e. one where you find and furnish your own house rather than enjoying the comforts of Drexel Heritage furniture that populates the housing of the American Foreign Service worldwide -- or Washington, D.C. Let's face it - that could be anywhere from 2 years to 10 years in the future, and I'd rather get cash for the relatively nice things we have today and just purchase them again in the future than have to worry about them languishing in storage for a decade. Again, mold! It could happen to you!
Other things going out the door: many of our books and movies. Most everything we read or watch is digital (hello kindle and netflix! love you bunches) and the things we can't bear to part with will hang out at a parent's house until we need them in the future, or decide to gift our extensive collection of 100+ science fiction books (mostly Star Wars) to a niece or nephew.
We're keeping all our sentimental art. Here's a small sampling:
![]() |
| Postage Stamps from the 3 countries I've lived in - Morocco, Israel, and France |
![]() |
| Abstract Landscape canvas I acquired Freshman year of college. |
![]() |
| Canvas print of a photo I took in Angers, France and two vintage french advertisements |
So, getting back to running in place - I hope this gives you an idea of the many things I have been doing during my demi-employment. I also convinced the local library to buy a copy of America's Other Army by Nicholas Kralev, and I'm currently working through it. Expect a review up as soon as I finish it.
I have made a few steps forward though - I passed my phone test in Arabic that gives me a slight bump on the register. I leapfrogged five people on the list of Management FSOs-in-waiting, which has put me in striking distance of a first round offer next time a class is formed. Remember though: the register is dynamic, and there hasn't been a November A100 class held since 2011 due to concerns over funding. This means that a class could be formed for November, and I could start then, but with ongoing concerns over budgets and continuing resolutions and Congress *side eye* there are no guarantees. If no budgets materialize before the beginning of the fiscal year in October, then the next class will probably be in January, and I have a good chance of making it in to that one, provided that a new crop of Management FSOs-in-waiting don't appear above me on the register and knock me back down the list.
Still - I passed my Arabic phone test! Yay! A book I wanted from the library materialized! I finally found a copy of National Geographic's Inside the State Department documentary! My best friend was hired, meaning all my friends are gainfully employed! My nephew has an adorable Dinosaurs and Dragons party planned for Labor Day weekend, and I should be able to make it in to town!
See, life isn't so bad. At least I'm still running (metaphorically speaking).



No comments:
Post a Comment