21 September 2014

On Tenterhooks

The benefit of spending my demi-employment ("funemployment") reading so much is that I learn nifty new phrases I have never heard before. Unfortunately, I also spend so much time reading and so little time socializing that I mistakenly told a friend not to wontonly lay claim to my food at brunch... and was then roundly laughed at for mispronouncing wantonly. Eh, you win some, you lose some.

The difficulty of having a blog seems to be coming up with a myriad of things to write in it, even down to composing entire posts in your head, and then never following through with the actual typing. So I'm going to try to post more of the things I have been reading and doing recently, but for now I think I'll just brief you on the latest:

There is no latest. I haven't received the call. As of last Monday, I'm 13/80 on the management register.

We still don't know if there will be a November class (even though the Continuing Resolution passed and was signed last week, the funding doesn't last as long as many hopefuls were wishing it would...) and the longer it takes for a January class to be formed, the more time I have to wait and watch as more people are added above me on the register.

So! In the mean time, I'm craigslisting away all the extraneous things we don't need (turns out we never buy more than a bottle or two of wine at a time... so long 12 bottle wine rack!) or want (food processor... potentially useful, but not dual voltage. Sell it and buy a better chopping knife instead!) and turning that money around to purchase smaller, better, lighter household objects that will travel well and last longer. My biggest purchase to date? A new printer. Our old one was ~5 years old and the new wireless print stuff is pretty cool. I can print from my phone! And it's dual voltage and does duplex scanning and printing. /nerd

Even if the call doesn't come, I have plenty of books and events to fill my time. I also just heard that they're putting all of Gilmore Girls on Netflix in October, so that's gonna happen too.

Any book recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment