26 July 2014

Book Review - United States Protocol: The Guide to Official Diplomatic Etiquette



Written by Ambassador Mary Mel French, the former head of the Office of the Chief of Protocol, this is not a light beach read. I learned a lot about precedence and etiquette and ranking and proper forms of address, but then promptly forgot about 75% of it once I returned the book to my public library last week.

Oops.

This book excels at being a reference guide for etiquette and if you ever struggle with how to address envelopes or introduce a visiting dignitary, this is the book for you. And, as it was published in 2010, it is refreshingly up to date with equal treatment for all forms of relationships, and has the proper forms of address ready for when a woman becomes President of the United States. 

I also learned that women are to be referred to as Madam rather than Madame (must remind myself of this! Do not rely on French cultural cues!) and that it's perfectly acceptable for me to use Ms. Travel-Size despite the fact that I am happily married, as Ms. used to be the domain of divorcees and old maids. Not anymore!

Rating: One perfectly addressed invitation and attendant place card at a State Dinner. Definitely should have one of these in every embassy and consulate around the world, but it's not necessary for my personal bookshelf.

Ooooh so close! You really needed a "The" in front of Honorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment