I ran across an interesting tidbit today that the first Atlas accidentally switched Cuba and Cyprus. Whoops.
I mean, the Caribbean and the Mediterranean aren't, like, that different? Right?
In the same article, it points out that a different printing of the same Atlas managed to switch America with Africa.
I'm sure it's a cold comfort to Mercator and the geographers of days past that many people still confuse one place for another and I have personally witnessed many instances of internet mockery gone awry when people confuse Austria and Australia.
I mean really, it is impossible that one great nation could produce both Arnold "The Governator" Schwarzenegger and Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter. It is just unthinkable.
Also one is, um, entirely landlocked and in the middle of a few mountain ranges (*sings* the hills are alive...) and the other is it's own continent.... that is primarily covered in a harsh desert that spawns a new color every year to keep up with just how incredibly hot it gets there between December and February:
Protip: Edelweiss was made up for the movie. Yes, it's a cute little song about a flower, but it is neither the Austrian anthem nor a traditional folk song.
I mean, the Caribbean and the Mediterranean aren't, like, that different? Right?
In the same article, it points out that a different printing of the same Atlas managed to switch America with Africa.
I'm sure it's a cold comfort to Mercator and the geographers of days past that many people still confuse one place for another and I have personally witnessed many instances of internet mockery gone awry when people confuse Austria and Australia.
I mean really, it is impossible that one great nation could produce both Arnold "The Governator" Schwarzenegger and Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter. It is just unthinkable.
Also one is, um, entirely landlocked and in the middle of a few mountain ranges (*sings* the hills are alive...) and the other is it's own continent.... that is primarily covered in a harsh desert that spawns a new color every year to keep up with just how incredibly hot it gets there between December and February:
Protip: Edelweiss was made up for the movie. Yes, it's a cute little song about a flower, but it is neither the Austrian anthem nor a traditional folk song.

No comments:
Post a Comment